City

Information

City Building

Monday-Friday: 8:00AM to 4:30PM.  The office is closed from 12:30PM – 1:30PM for lunch.

Recreation Information

Reservation Line
859-426-7200

CITY STAFF

Paul Markgraf

Paul Markgraf

Mayor

Greg D. Voss, Esq.

Greg D. Voss, Esq.

City Attorney

Martin Hellman

Martin Hellman

City Engineer (CT Consultants)

Steve Greer

Steve Greer

Director of Public Works

Teresa L. Bruck

Teresa L. Bruck

City Clerk / Treasurer

Jeanette Kemper

Jeanette Kemper

Deputy Clerk

Naomijoe Craven

Naomijoe Craven

Recreation Director

Col. Brad C. Degenhardt

Col. Brad C. Degenhardt

Chief of Police

Dave Slusser

Dave Slusser

Fire Chief

COMMITTEES & BOARDS

 

Adopt-a-Unit: Libby Baker, Dave Wolfer

Finance: Dave Wolfer (Chair), Chris Gongola

Fire Department & EMS: 

Municipal Government League of Northern Kentucky:  Dennis Landwehr

PDS: Brian Waite – Primary, Dennis Landwehr – Alternate

Police Authority: Paul Markgraf, Brian Waite, Dave Wolfer

Public Relations: Mary Ann Thaman

Public Works: Mary Ann Thaman, Tom Bernheimer, Dennis Landwehr, Steve Greer – PW Director

Recreation: Dave Wolfer, Mary Ann Thaman, Chris Gongola

TBNK:  Tom Bernheimer

Website: Paul Markgraf, Teresa Bruck, Jeanette Kemper

HISTORY

 

city history - lakeYour city was established as the Town of Lakeside Park on May 12, 1930. It has grown by the addition of residential developments so that today, Lakeside Park is considered one of the garden spots of Northern Kentucky.

There are approximately 2,650 of us in this small city which is entirely composed of residences with the exception of three business sites on the Dixie Highway, five churches and a federal Post Office. We own the streets other than the major thoroughfares such as Buttermilk Pike, Turkeyfoot Road and Dixie Highway.

The area on which our city is built is one of historic interest in the development of the Northern Kentucky region. In 1798, Col. John Leathers received ownership of all of it in a vast tract of 994 acres. The Colonel died in 1840, but by that time parcels of the tract had been acquired by others. The first Lakeside Park subdivision was composed of only 40 acres by Mr. Paul Hesser who bought it from R.L. and F.D. Crigler. The area was laid out along the west side of the old Lexington Pike and about the lakes. Today, our city includes almost 530 acres and 14 subdivisions.

There are several historic spots in our city. There was a small Indian mound on the north side of Buttermilk Pike, long since destroyed. The Dry Creek Baptist Church on Buttermilk Pike was established early in the 19th century and a solid brick building still stands as a residence. Then, there is the old toll house on Lexington Pike which for many years, was the Reschulte Inn at the corner of Dixie Highway and Hudson Avenue. It has now been restored and remodeled as Barleycorn’s Five Mile House.

Perhaps, the oldest venerated spot is the cemetery of the John S. Perry family with few complete markers remaining, carrying early dates and revealing the hardships of life in the youthful struggles of the frontier. Our Dixie Highway is laid on this historic road known as the old Lexington Pike, an early path to the south, guarded by numerous earth-work forts during the Civil War. To know the derivation of such designations as Turkeyfoot Road and Buttermilk Pike invites some interesting research; research may uncover other important historic facts.

The citizens and owners of property in our city have carefully maintained the quality of their homes and landscaping. In a recent city survey, our residents prized the friendly residential community atmosphere, the city’s outstanding police and fire protection and the convenience of our unique location. Hospitals, great schools, interstate highways, the Greater Cincinnati International Airport, abundant shopping and dining locales are nearby. Covington, Cincinnati, Newport and Florence are within a 10 minute drive.

lakeside park lakesOur city governed by council of six persons elected bi-annually and the mayor chosen every four years. They preside at meetings which are regularly convened on the second Monday of each month in the city building, 9 Buttermilk Pike, at 7:00 p.m. Residents are invited to attend these sessions or to watch them on cable television or via the City website. Council is assisted by a city engineer, services from the Planning and Development Services of Kenton County(for zoning, permits and code enforcement), a board of adjustments, a city clerk/treasurer and legal counsel.

The Police Authority serves our City and the City of Crestview Hills in the oldest cooperative department in Kentucky. The fire department and life squad for Fort Mitchell ably serve Lakeside Park.

Gas and electricity utilities are provided by Duke Energy, our water is furnished by Northern Kentucky Water District and the storm and sanitation sewers are maintained by Sanitation District No. 1. To maintain the city services, streets and administrative personnel, taxes are paid by property owners. The rate has seen very little increase in recent years.

To retain the quality is a fine community, we have regulatory ordinances. The present official zoning ordinance became law in February, 1994, as amended from time to time. It legally complies was Kenton County Zoning requirements and statutes of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

We think our Lakeside Park community is a fine place to live in the quickening pace of change in recent years, sometimes welcomed, often reluctantly accepted. We find constant vigilance a necessity to maintain the quality of life our residents have come to expect. We look to improvements, but without the destruction of the good character of our small city and we ask that you join in the effort.